ESTABLISH A POSITIVE MOOD FOR COMMUNICATION
- Use your body language
- Look into their eyes
- Show gentleness and be respectful
- Speak slowly and enunciate your words
- Touch gently
GET THEIR ATTENTION
- Remove distraction
- Turn down TV, radio, or find a quiet area
- Maintain eye contact by getting down to their level
- Use gentle touch to get their attention
- Address them by name and identify yourself
STATE YOUR MESSAGE CLEARLY
- Keep sentences short and concise
- Enunciate your words.
- Keep your voice calm and low.
- Do not raise your voice.
- If it’s an instruction, have them repeat it.
- If they still do not understand, rephrase the question or statement.
- Use people and places as examples versus verbs or adjectives.
KEEP THE QUESTION SIMPLE
- Use props such as articles of clothing or pointing.
- Ask yes or no questions.
- Avoid open-ended questions.
LISTEN ATTENTIVELY WITH YOUR EYES, EARS AND HEART.
- Be patient
- Wait for the…
View original post 295 more words